• Specific duties, responsibilities and procedures the student will be trained in are:
– Prepare patients for collection procedures associated with laboratory sample.
– Collect routine skin puncture specimens for testing.
– Prepare specimens for transport to ensure stability of sample.
– Maintain patient confidentiality and transport specimens to the laboratory.
– Comply with all procedures instituted in the phlebotomy procedure manual.
– Promote good public relations with patients and hospitals personnel.
– Collect and document monthly workload and recording data.
– Maintain safe working conditions and perform laboratory computer operations.
– Participate in continuing education programs.
– Collect and perform point-of-care testing (POCT).
– Perform quality control checks on POCT instruments.
– Perform skin tests& process specimens and perform basic test.
– Collect urine for drug screens AND Perform office duties including CPT coding.
– Demonstrate adequate knowledge of the health care delivery system and medical terminology.
– Demonstrate adequate knowledge of infection control and safety.
– Demonstrate basic understanding of the anatomy and physiology of body system.
– Associate the major areas/departments of the clinical laboratory with the laboratory tests ordered which evaluate a patient’s pathological condition/illness.
– Demonstrate understanding of the importance of specimen collection in the patient care system.
– Demonstrate knowledge of collection equipment, various types of additives used, special precautions necessary and substances that can interfere in clinical analysis of blood constituents.
– Demonstrate proper techniques of venipuncture and capillary puncture.
– Demonstrate adequate understanding of requisitioning, specimen transport and specimen processing.
– Demonstrate adequate understanding of quality assessment in phlebotomy.
– Demonstrate adequate understanding of the basic concepts of communications, personal and patient interaction, stress management, professional behavior and legal implications
• Upon successful completion of the Phlebotomy Program through our institution, the student will have the knowledge to work in the field as a Phlebotomy Technician and receive a Certificate of Completion. Before taking a National Registry Exam, students must perform 30 successful venipunctures and 10 capillary sticks under the supervision of a CPT or higher. Students are encouraged to bring their friends and family members to complete the requirements at our on-site lab. There are no additional lab usage fees. Once these requirements are satisfied, the students will be eligible to challenge a National Registry Examination to become a Certified Phlebotomy Technician(CPT).